Reading 2016 news coverage at this point is like reading press releases from Hillary Clinton’s office everyday. Every major media source has polling indicating that Clinton would easily take the nomination and, if the election was held today, would beat most major Republicans.
I’m wondering whether this type of coverage is overall bad for the Republican and whether it tends to “turn off” voters who will be lured into believing the nomination is sewn up so why bother supporting someone else?
One only has to look back to 2008 when Hillary Clinton was the shoe-in for the Democratic nomination to see an example of the underdog candidate rising out of nowhere to challenge and defeat the juggernaut Clinton machine. The lesson, in my opinion, is that the media enjoys perpetuating the most often repeated narrative lest they appear to be out of step on the state of coverage. I’ve tried to avoid the meaningless 2016 chatter right now since it is so far off and 75% of it consists of Clinton polls and the other 25% consists of talk about Chris Christie or Donald Trump.
How about some suggestions for Presidential election topics and news stories outside the weekly polls? Got anything juicy on the Electoral College?